Saturday, August 25, 2012

Greek versus Roman

In history today I studied the Renaissance. The Renaissance was the rebirth of classical things from the civilizations of the Greeks and Romans. And since I've been reading Percy Jackson again, one of the better things about the 21st century, I thought I would point out some facts about the gods.

For example, most of the planets are named after Roman gods. I have no idea why. But some of them aren't named after major gods, which I found sort of peculiar.

Mercury- Hermes
Venus- Aphrodite
Earth-Well, that ones a little confusing. It's technically named after Gaea/Gaia. But her Roman form was Terra, but they named the planet Earth, not Terra.
Mars- Ares
Jupiter- Zeus
Saturn- Kronos, I think. And all of it's moons are named after various gods and titans.
Uranus- Uranus, who was the ancient god of the sky and apparently Zeus's grandfather.
Neptune- Poseidon
Pluto- Hades

The other gods are named other things, except for one special guy. Apollo! His name is exactly the same in both the Greek and Roman societies. Maybe it's because he's so cool. I don't know. Anyways, he's my favorite god, personally, because he's god of the sun! Who doesn't like the sun? He also is god of archery and bachelors. I actually made a bracelet about him. In the colors of the sun. I also made one for Poseidon (in green and blue) and Aphrodite (all pink!)

Oh, that reminds me of one other thing. This summer I went to Busch Gardens in Virginia! (Theme parks are my favorite places! I wish they steel roller-coasters before the 21st century. Then I'd write an article about the best roller-coasters ever!) Anyways, it was awesome. And the best ride there was Apollo's chariot. It didn't go upside down or anything, but it had these awesome hills where, when you'd get to the top, you'd go weightless for a moment!! I could have gone on that all day!!! But what puzzled me was that it was in little Italy. I'm no geography whiz, but Greece and Italy are not in the same place. And Apollo originated from Greek. So that annoyed me a little. But it's still the best ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment