Sunday, March 24, 2013

Awkward moments with Shakespeare

I just started reading Romeo and Juliet for my English class and I immediately realized how awkward it's going to be. So every time I find something awkward in the story I'll make a note of it. Here's the awkward stuff from scenes 1-4.

---

Sampson: Gregory, on my word, we'll not carry coals.

---

Sampson: 'Tis true; and therefore women, being the weaker vessels, are ever thrust to the wall. Therefore I will push Montague's men from the wall and thrust his maids to the wall.

Gregory: This quarrel is between our masters and us their men.

Sampson: 'Tis all one. I will show myself a tyrant. When I have fought with the men, I will be civil with the maids-- I will cut off their heads.

Gregory: The heads of the maids?

Sampson: Ay.

---

Sampson: My naked weapon is out. Quarrel!!! {this has gotta be my favorite. xD}

--

Sampson: Nay, as they dare. I will bite my thumb at them, which is to disgrace them if they bear it.

Abram: Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?

Sampson: I do bite my thumb, sir.

---

Servant: God gi' go-gen. I pray sir, can you read?

---

Nurse: An honor? Were not I thine only nurse, I would say thou hadst sucked wisdom from thy teat.

---

Romeo: Direct my sail! On, lusty gentlemen!

Benvolio: Strike, drum.

1 comment: