Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Lottery

For one of my classes I just read The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. Let me just tell you that is possibly the WORST piece of writing I have EVER read. EVER.

It starts off fine enough, like "oh, its such a nice lovely day im just gonna pile these stones over here kay? kay."

And then it turns into the Hunger Games.

Personally, I find that IDIOTIC.

I was never a fan of the theme of the Hunger Games. I mean, okay, it's well-written and everything, but the message it gives out is a terrible one. "lets name our daughter katniss and when she grows up she can kill oll the otha kids!"

In fact, that may very well be where Miss Cooper got her inspiration to write that.

It's THAT similar.

I don't understand why my school program would caution readers about reading the Tell-Tale Heart but don't even find anything from with The Lottery. (Loved Tell-Tale Heart by the way, Poe is fabulous.)

NO WONDER so many people cancelled their subscriptions to the New Yorker magazine when that was published. That was terrible.

The thing that hurt me the most is that I just lost someone I cared about. And to have someone in that story killed needlessly, and that the other people enjoy it....AWFUL.

This is definitely a story on my "Do not read list."

1 comment:

  1. That was such a sad story! I was wondering what the moral to that story was supposed to be...Sigh.

    ReplyDelete